Travel Tips - Costa Rica
The following information was jointly published by the Costa Rica Tourist Board and the Police Force.
TIPS FOR HAVING A GREAT AND SAFE VACATION IN COSTA RICA
* Your passport is very important: take good care of it! Always carry a copy of your passport and keep the original in the safety deposit box of your hotel, along with your money, jewelry and other valuable objects.
* When doing bank transactions, you must present your original passport. Use only banks or authorized agencies for exchanging your money.
* Use automatic teller machines located in public and well illuminated places. Be careful of any offer of help or of strangers when using the machines; withdraw the cash and count it before going outside.
* Keep all your goods in sight and reach. If you use public transportation, always keep an eye on them.
* When using taxi services, verify that they comply with the legal established requirements, such as the yellow triangles printed on the doors and a meter. Always ask the staff at your hotel to call a taxi from a reliable company.
* If you are lost and in need of checking your map, look for a public and safe place to do it, or recur to to the police authorities for help.
* While driving or parking your car, lock the doors and keep the windows closed. Do not leave your personal belongings inside the vehicle.
* If you get a flat tire, if you are suspiciously warned of a damage, if you are suspiciously hit from behind or if you are being followed while driving, do not stop and immediately look for the police or dial 911 when possible.
* Avoid stopping when a stranger asks you for a ride.
* In Costa Rica we strive to protect our boys, girls and teenagers. The sexual exploitation of minors is a crime punished by the Law.
* In case of emergencies call 911 from any telephone
* To lodge a complaint with the Tourist Board call 2299-5811
* From USA and Canada call 1 800 868 7476 or 887 4766 for general help or information
The Costa Rica Tourist Board (I.C.T.) has offices in the Juan Santamaria International Airport and at the Plaza de la Cultura located on the 5th street between central and 2nd avenue in San Jose.
Please scroll down to see other useful travel tips: -